If you are lacking storage and organization in your pop up camper, or you just don’t like the way the pull down handle looks (it’s big)…I’m going to show you how to cover it up and gain valuable camper storage with this pretty and practical pop up camper kitchen shelf.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pop up camper kitchen shelf
I’ve been looking for every possible way to squeeze a little storage into our pop up camper (before tour here for our Coleman Westlake). I’ve seen many people create tension rod shelf systems that are very interesting- but ultimately not for me. One of the reasons I love pop up campers is the amount of windows looking out on any new, beautiful locations we may find ourselves visiting. I just don’t want anything blocking the windows, or the view.
I also really don’t like that huge handle that pulls the top portion of the kitchen. It’s big, sticks out, and looks ugly. This whole situation was the perfect opportunity for a simple wood shelf that fits perfectly over the sink. This shelf solves some issues:
- Hides the pull down handle.
- Provides the perfect amount of storage for our hand soap, dish soap, scrubber, and a few dishes.
- Gives me a great spot/excuse for some well planned decorations.
How I planned out this camper storage Shelf
- There are two low surfaces on either side of the kitchen unit. Those provide the perfect flat surface for the two legs of the shelf to sit on. It is important that your camper is level for this project to work. If your camper is not level to the back, the shelf will tip back.
- I wanted to take advantage of the looser canvas window to give my shelf more surface area. If I only measured from the back of the stove to the metal sliding track, the shelf would have only been 3 inches wide.
- In order to have a deeper shelf and still be able to open the stove, the top of the shelf must be wider than the legs (on the back). This overhangs the metal track on the back.
how TO BUILD this pretty pop up camper storage shelf
- Start by measuring the width of your kitchen.
- Then measure the height to the top of the pull down bar.
- The legs will sit on the inside of your top board so the measurement for the top board will be 1.5″ longer than the width of your kitchen. (1″ boards actually measure 3/4″)
- The legs will be the exact measurement to the top of your kitchen pull down bar.
- Cut the 1×5 wood board to the width of your kitchen + 1.5″.
- Cut the 1×3 wood board to the height of your kitchen to the top of the pull down bar.
- Drill two pocket holes using the Kreg Pocket Hole Jig in each leg.
- Attach legs to the top using pocket screws (Kreg Pocket Hole Jig comes with the drill bit)
- Make it match your decor using paint!
TOP BOARD = WIDTH OF YOUR KITCHEN + 1.5″
LEGS = HEIGHT OF YOUR KITCHEN TO TOP OF PULL DOWN BAR